Curatorial Assistant – Young Canada Works
Applications due: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 5:00pm
Length of employment: 12 weeks
Hours: 35 hours/week (Monday to Friday, with some evening and weekend work required)
Salary: $16.50 per hour
Start Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2018
End Date: Friday, August 10, 2018
The Art Gallery at Evergreen (AGE) at the Evergreen Cultural Centre in Coquitlam seeks a Curatorial Assistant to support the development and delivery of the AGE’s exhibition, public engagement and education programs. The Curatorial Assistant will participate in the research, development and delivery of the AGE’s summer 2018 and 2018/2019 programming, marketing and communications activities and assume a leading role in the development AGE’s collections management strategies and plans. The Assistant will contribute to the successful presentation of the AGE’s summer exhibition do it.
The Curatorial Assistant will work closely with the Curator to support the development and delivery of the AGE’s 2018/2019 exhibition, public engagement and education programs and undertake several tasks including:
- Provide research assistance and administrative support to the Curator on the development of upcoming programs for the AGE’s 2018/2019 exhibitions and public engagement activities.
- Plan and facilitate community engagement programs surrounding the AGE summer exhibition do it.
- Contribute writing and editing services towards the preparation of the AGE’s 2018/2019 exhibition materials.
- Assist with the development and delivery of the AGE’s marketing and communications initiatives with a focus on social media.
- Organize the AGE exhibition history into an active website archive.
- Assist with collections management.
- Provide support for the Evergreen’s summer arts camp activities with the Public Programming Coordinator.
- General administrative duties.
The Curatorial Assistant will be a graduate in Fine Arts, Curatorial and Critical Studies, Art History, Interactive Arts, History or related field and will possess:
- Demonstrated knowledge of current contemporary Canadian and international artistic trends.
- Interest and engagement with the local arts community
- Interest in public engagement and educational program planning and delivery in the arts
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Exemplary organization skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative and problem solve.
- Computer experience with web applications, Microsoft Office and basic to intermediate database knowledge.
- Strong social media skills preferred
- Volunteer or work experience in a gallery or museum environment desirable
Applicants should submit a letter of intent (including confirmation that the applicant is eligible for the position according to the eligibility guidelines for the Young Canada Works program at www.youngcanadaworks.ca) and a current resume to the attention of Katherine Dennis, Curator, Art Gallery at Evergreen/Visual Arts Manager, Evergreen Cultural Centre, 1205 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam, BC V3B 7Y3, via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 604.927.6559 no later than 17:00 (5:00 PM) Sunday, April 15, 2018. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
For further information, e-mail email@example.com. No telephone calls please.