VISUAL ARTS EDUCATION SPECIALIST
Applications due: on-going
Hours: Part-Time, Casual
Salary: $28-$30 per hour depending on experience plus 12% in lieu of benefits
The Evergreen Cultural Centre in Coquitlam seeks an artist/educator to join our faculty in the position of Visual Arts Education Specialist. We are looking for an innovative, creative, visual arts professional who is passionate about the arts and conversant in the history, theories, and techniques of traditional, modern, contemporary art, and, more generally, of creative processes. Under the direction of the Education Coordinator, the Visual Arts Education Specialist will participate in the development, delivery and teaching of visual arts education programs to K-12 students through the Polygon/Evergreen Arts Education Program. The Specialist may also develop and lead public engagement programs and spring and summer arts camps. The Specialist will participate in education program information and planning sessions for each of the Art Gallery at Evergreen’s exhibitions.
- Work with the Education Coordinator on conceptual and curriculum development of relevant programs for students from kindergarten through grade twelve to ensure consistent and exceptional quality within all education programs.
- Oversee activities of education program volunteers.
- Lead tours of Art Gallery at Evergreen exhibitions utilizing interactive teaching methods and practices.
- Teach and facilitate student participants in hands-on studio activities in a variety of different media.
- Participate in the preparation and maintenance of program equipment, supplies, and facilities.
- Occasionally teach in-school educational activities as required.
- Opportunity to lead week-long camps in the spring and summer.
- Ensure the physical safety of student participants during tours and studio activities.
- Participate in programming and scheduling meetings with the Education Coordinator and Visual Arts Manager (approximately 2-3 hours per month).
The Visual Arts Education Specialist is a professional with a post-secondary degree in fine arts, art history, education or related discipline with emphasis on contemporary visual culture and will possess:
- Experience with, or comprehensive knowledge of, visual arts techniques including drawing, painting, three-dimensional media (mixed-media, paper construction, ceramics, &c.)
- Demonstrated proficiency or experience in public engagement and educational program planning and delivery in the visual arts for student participants between the ages of 5 and 18 years.
- An extensive knowledge of current trends in all forms of contemporary art, related cultural practices and audience development strategies.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills one-on-one and with large groups of student participants (Average of 25-30 at one time).
- Capable of lifting loads up to 10 kg
- The demonstrated ability to work with audiences and participants of all ages and backgrounds.
- Access to an automobile and a valid BC driver’s license an asset.
- Ability to communicate in French is an asset.
Applicants should submit a letter of intent with a current resume to the attention of Katherine Dennis, Visual Arts Manager, Art Gallery at Evergreen, Evergreen Cultural Centre, 1205 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam, BC V3B 7Y3, via e-mail: email@example.com or fax at 604.927.6559. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.