VOLUNTEER WITH US!
Evergreen’s amazing team of volunteers play a crucial role in the facilitation of our performing + visual arts programming. We’re always looking for positive, art-minded people from all walks of life to join our team, and we are committed to promoting a safe, accessible, and inclusive community of volunteers.
OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
Our dedicated team of volunteers contribute their time + energy to help our staff deliver quality cultural programs in four main areas: performances and events, exhibitions and gallery events, school program workshops and outreach events. Find the Volunteer Role that’s right for you!
THERE ARE FOUR STEPS TO BECOMING A VOLUNTEER:
1. Apply to join our team: Fill out an online application, and our Volunteer Coordinator will get in touch with you. To qualify to volunteer, you must be 15 years of age or older, fluent in English, reliable, and motivated.
2. Come in for an interview: Once your application has been received, our Volunteer Coordinator will invite you to an in-person or over-the-phone interview to learn more about you, and discuss what position you are interested in volunteering for.
3. Screening and Reference Checks: After your interview, approved applicants will be asked to complete a Criminal Records Check, which we will coordinate and cover any costs for. Some volunteers may be asked to also complete a Vulnerable Sector Check if they are working in our Arts Education programs.
4. Join us for an Orientation: Before you start your first Volunteer shift at Evergreen, Our Volunteer Coordinator will meet with you one last time to give you an orientation to our organisation (you know, all the finer details: Evergreen policies, online training, and other administrative steps).
VOLUNTEER OPEN HOUSE
Join us for our next information session to learn more about what specific volunteer roles are available at Evergreen, and the necessary steps to become a Team Evergreen Volunteer!
Art Gallery Ambassador
Shifts are available from Wednesday to Sunday during our regular gallery hours.
What does a Gallery Ambassador do?
FAQ: OUR FREQUENTLY ASKED VOLUNTEER QUESTIONS
What will I get out of Volunteering?
The Evergreen wouldn’t be half the arts centre it is today without our hardworking team of volunteers. As a non-profit, our volunteers are the core of our organization, and help us bring the best arts experiences + education we can to the Tri-Cities, while keeping our space open, inclusive, and accessible to everyone. Evergreen volunteers share their knowledge + love of the arts with each visitor that they meet, as
well as with each other. And, Evergreen’s volunteers can be found everywhere in our building – from our art gallery and arts education
workshops, to our front of house as ushers, concession assistants, or coat check attendants for our theatre + rental events! By volunteering with us, you’ll be able to gain:
- Teamwork and collaboration skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Problem–solving and analytical skills
- Organizational skills
- Customer service and client service delivery skills
- Access to our Monday Night Member Film Series
- Special updates about Evergreen’s upcoming events
- Join the whole team for special Volunteer events like our annual Volunteer Holiday Party
When can I apply to volunteer?
You can apply to volunteer anytime!
October to June are the busiest months for us, and require many volunteers to support our performing and visual arts events, exhibitions, and programs. If you want more information before applying, register for one of our scheduled volunteer information sessions. These sessions are designed to introduce you to our volunteer program, answer any questions you may have, and help you with the next steps.
Interested in volunteering specifically for our spring or summer arts camps? Apply in January (for spring break) and April (for our July summer camps) to volunteer during our Art Camps.
How many hours are volunteers required to give?
School Program volunteers, Gallery volunteers, AGE Youth Committee volunteers, and Front of House volunteers are asked to sign-up for at least two shifts a month. Each position has pre-scheduled shift times. Please see our Volunteer Positions page for more information.
Arts Camp Councillor volunteers are scheduled for a minimum of one week, at 40 hours a week.
Outreach & Community Event volunteers are scheduled for one shift at three hours or more.
Can I fill out a paper application?
Sure! If you’d prefer to apply the old fashioned way, please give our Volunteer Coordinator a call at 604-927-6561, or email email@example.com to arrange to fill out a paper application.
Is there a minimum age for volunteering?
Yes – all of our Team Evergreen Volunteers must be 15 years of age or older to apply.
I applied to volunteer! When will I hear back?
Once our Volunteer Coordinator has received your volunteer application, you should hear back from them in a week’s time (7 business days). Then they will inform you of the next steps to take.
How long does it take to become a volunteer?
The length of time between your in-person interview and your first shift (this is referred to as the screening process) can vary greatly depending on which position you’ve applied for, if any, and whether there are any openings in that area.
Generally speaking, it can take as little as two weeks or up to 6 months from your first connection with the Volunteer Coordinator to your first shift.
How do I sign-up for shifts?
After you’ve been accepted into the volunteer program, the Volunteer Coordinator will add you to a volunteer group list. Our volunteers receive weekly emails with available shifts. After reviewing the available shifts, you’ll be able to reply with a request to volunteer for a shift (or two – or three!) that suits your schedule.
If you’ve applied to work a one-time seasonal event, or as an Art Camp Councillor position, you’ll be assigned shifts discussed during your interview.
I have a few more questions... How can I get in touch with someone?
No problem – we’re here to help! If you still have some questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Need more information? Want to talk to someone about an opportunity you are unsure of?
We’re here to help! Contact our Volunteer Coordinator by Email or call 604-927-6550.